United Arab Emirates
Director, Commercial Training & Education – DACH, MEA & CEE
Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits on offer
This position reports to the International Lead and is responsible for all elements of Sales Training at a Priority Cluster Level. The role is a member of the Global Commercial Training and Education Leadership Team. It is expected that these roles will play a part in shaping global training strategy as well as ensuring that all training interventions are appropriate and impactful at the business cluster level. The Cluster Director of Commercial Training and Education acts as the link between global strategy and local delivery.
They are accountable for the delivery of the agreed cluster-level training plan and they should work closely with local leaders to agree an annual Service Level Agreement (SLA) with clear metrics and deliverables. It is expected that the role will be a part of the Cluster Leadership Team, working closely with the Cluster Leader/MD and with his/her team of BUDs. They are responsible for leading a team of Commercial Training Managers and the Commercial Leadership Coach at a local level. They should set the direction and standards for the team as well as overseeing the ongoing professional development of all global commercial training colleagues locally. The role is focused on creating a performance culture, where every training intervention is measured and the value reported to the business on a regular basis. The Director of Commercial Training is accountable for ensuring the ongoing certification of ALL S&N; sales force colleagues in the cluster, assessing sales readiness and preparedness, and aligning certifications to cluster business imperatives. They should ensure ongoing dialogue with the global content delivery team in order to ensure that all cluster programs are fit for purpose. While not directly responsible for the success of Navigate at a cluster level, the role should nonetheless play a key part in ensuring the change leadership that will be needed for the successful deployment and ongoing benefit of Navigate. They are also ultimately accountable for the appropriate deployment of all training resources in the cluster, and for the successful execution of local Field Sales Trainer and Train the Trainer programs. Finally, it is expected that all Directors of Commercial Training and Education will continue to deliver training content relevant to their professional expertise – either product related or leadership focused.
Essential Job Functions
Provide strong leadership to the team. Sets the standard for professionalism, impact, influence and collaboration. Challenges the organization to consistently raise its performance while creating a work environment that makes Smith & Nephew a great place to work
Recruit, hire, train and develop Commercial Training Managers and local Commercial Leadership Coach to ensure that all training needs of the cluster are met. Facilitates monthly 1:1 meetings with senior business partners, direct reports on goal creation & attainment, mentorship, and general performance management
Sets challenging goals and establishes strong culture of measurement for all training interventions. Monitors the local assessment and continual improvement of product and skills training programs. Provides regular feedback to global content development team and to CT&E; Leadership
- Manages a staff of Commercial Training Managers
- Act as a role model for all commercial training colleagues. Challenge, stretch, develop and mentor team members in order to ensure a culture of continuous learning and development. Maintain engagement of team members and overall positive work environment.
- Routine collaboration with BUDs, Sales Leaders/VPs, Sales Operations, Content Development team, onboarding team, HR, etc.
- Drive/implement the new global commercial training model and philosophy/vision– ensuring reduced classroom training and more field coaching from all team members. Monitor progress
- Leads local vendor relationships, monitors all commercial training budget for training programs, and ensures all external vendors are on budget and on time. Works with global content development and with other global leaders on wider regional/global vendor discussions
- Oversees the completion and timeliness of training performance assessment documentation and delivery back to sales management.
- Be accountable for certification in the cluster
- Oversees and leads the implementation of the Field Sales Trainer (FST) program, leveraging FSTs as force multipliers for the training department, and semiannual review of FST qualifications, compensation, and FST roster management
- Ensures compliance with all Smith & Nephew policies
Deployment/Budget Management and Metrics
- Ensure optimal deployment of Commercial Training Resources at Cluster level. Ensure full utilization of team members/commercial training resources both in the Cluster and across clusters at a Regional/Global level as appropriate. Be accountable for driving appropriate time split between classroom training and field coaching
- Align cluster performance with Global Commercial Training Metrics and report dashboards to business leaders and training leadership. Ruthlessly inspect cluster sales performance and look for ways to improve execution, efficiency and effectiveness in all parts of the training offering
- Manage cluster budget and ensure that all internal teams/external vendors are on budget and on time
- Monitor individual team performances against global standards. Implement Global Curriculum for Global Commercial Training colleagues and manage underperformance as necessary
Maintain involvement on everyday training delivery. The role is intended to also be a ‘player coach’ who leads the team, as well as continuing to deliver the training that is appropriate to their experience and skill set. It is likely that Directors, Commercial Training and Education will continue the deliver training in all three business franchises, or in some cases that they will also act as the Commercial Leadership Coach for a Cluster. Provides coaching to senior sales leaders ( above sales manager)
Global Sales Training
As a member of the global commercial training team, there is a requirement to think beyond the specific elements of the role, and to play a part in shaping our thinking on other key elements of the overall S&N; Commercial Training plan – Content development, Navigate, training delivery, ILT versus virtual training interventions etc. Each team member is expected to act as an ambassador for the global commercial training team – professionalism, pride and performance culture.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree highly desired
- International work experience, additional language skills highly desired
- Experience in sales, sales training experience, or marketing experience. Experience leading a team and working with global organizations on field force excellence projects.
- Relevant experience in running multi-functional/multi-national projects.
- Demonstrated impact and influence. Excellent presentation and coaching skills.
- High levels of analytical capability are essential, together with an ability to communicate complex data clearly and effectively. Experience interpreting and translating complex data sets to summarize and present to senior management
- Experience with the selling process, and of sales force planning systems. High preference for demonstrably successful field selling experience.
- The role will require extensive Internal (Cluster) travel plus other international travel for Global Leadership Team Meetings (In total - up to 40%)
Smith+Nephew is a portfolio medical technology business that exists to restore people’s bodies and their self-belief by using technology to take the limits off living. We call this purpose ‘Life Unlimited’. Our 17,500+ employees deliver this mission every day, making a difference to patients’ lives through the excellence of our product portfolio, and the invention and application of new technologies across our three global franchises of Orthopaedics, Advanced Wound Management and Sports Medicine & ENT. Founded in Hull, UK, in 1856, we now operate in more than 100 countries, and generated annual sales of $5.1 billion in 2019. Smith+Nephew is a constituent of the FTSE100 (LSE:SN, NYSE:SNN).
If you share our passion for pioneering innovation and can demonstrate how you meet the criteria outlined, we would love to hear from you.
We continue to actively build an environment where every individual can fulfil their potential and be proud ambassadors for Smith & Nephew, our customers and their patients. We value the diversity of our people and welcome applications from everyone.