Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin has an exciting full-time career opportunity for an Intermediate or Senior HVDC Engineer to build a career in the area of Power Systems. The resource will report to our Montreal, QC (Canada) center of excellence and will be assigned on-location to a project in Riyadh (KSA) or Abu Dhabi (UAE).
The candidate will work in a fast-paced international consulting environment with excellent career growth opportunities.
Must be available for regular national, international and overseas business travel.
This position reports to the HVDC Manager.
How will you contribute to the team?
Working in collaboration with the HVDC Team to prepare the following deliverables / provide the following engineering services (non-exhaustive list):
- HVDC performance specifications (comprehensive)
- HVDC converter station and equipment specifications
- Detailed design reviews of O.E.M. design documentation and drawings
- On-site Installation and Commissioning supervision
- Detailed design for HVDC balance of plant (AC interface, Auxiliaries, etc.)
- High Voltage AC electrical design
- Factory testing and Controls/RTDS testing supervision
- Client interfacing, and providing expertise in the areas of HVDC and HV power systems
- HVDC and FACTS technology selection
- Feasibility and Techno-economic studies (lines, substation, generation, etc.).
- Design studies (such as filter design, grounding, lightning, EMF/EMI, audible noise, cable sizing, etc.).
- Site visits to measure audible noise, ground resistance, harmonics and electromagnetic fields data, etc.
- Supporting the business development team (proposals, presentations, strategy, etc.).
- Optional: conducting HVDC studies and model development
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, from a recognized institution (Master’s or PhD degree in power systems, an asset);
- 10+ years of relevant experience, particularly related to HVDC equipment and converter stations (Valves, Power Transformers, Filters, Cooling Systems, Control Systems, Electrode Design, HVDC Cables, etc.);
- Experience in FACTS projects (SVC, STATCOM, Series Compensation), an asset;
- Experience in conceptual and detailed design of High Voltage AC Substations and Cables, an asset;
- Exceptional academic, extracurricular and professional record;
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical capabilities with a focus achieving results;
- Team player with great interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- Client focused, highly autonomous, and ability to work under pressure;
- Comprehensive understanding of high-voltage electric networks fundamentals;
- Eligibility for registration with a Professional Order of Engineers.
- Fluency in English language, both spoken and written. Additional languages will be considered an asset;
- Availability for international assignments;
- Optional: proficiency in the following software tools (an asset): PSCAD, EMTP-RV, PSS®E, CDEGS.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording. At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.